Citizen Kane Shot Analysis
(2minutes and 23 seconds)
- The Thatcher Library: Mid-shot--a man reading from the
back; close-up of page w/Thatcher's memoir; close-up of sentence "When I first
met" in 1871.
- Dissolve to White
- Charlie in the Snow: Fade-in on white snow with long shot
of sledding boy shouting patriotic slogans.
- Jump-cut: close-up of snowball hitting sign "Mrs. Kane's
- Long shot of Charlie in the snow throwing snowballs.
- Dolly or tracking shot moves backward into window as Mrs. Kane comes
into left side of frame.
- Shot continues tracking backward into boarding house as
Thatcher, Mr. and Mrs. Kane argue about the terms of the "Colorado
- In back room, Mr. Kane, Thatcher and Mrs. Kane form a mid-
and close-up three-shot, with Charlie continuing to be seen and heard through
the window in long shot as they discuss his fate.
- Tracking shot dollies back toward the window following Mrs.
Kane as she raises the window.
- Cut to close-up shot of Mrs. Kane in window from outside
the boarding house as she shouts "Charles!" (her voice breaking with strain).