Introduction to Manuscript Technology
Dennis Baron, "Pencils and Pixels" in Writing Material
When writing was a mystery practiced by priests, what kinds of
texts did it record and what effect might that have had on its
legibility for the masses?
2) What guarantees the authority of speech? "You will get an A in 341."
What guarantees the authority of a similar message in writing?
3) When do the English start making pencils in significant quantities and why might that have happened?
4) Where did English graphite come from after 1829?
Namoi Baron, "Art and Science of Handwriting" in Writing Material
1) Why would C17-20 children study handwriting? What could they do with it as adults?
2) What was handwriting thought to reveal about the writer? How might that have been possible?
What was the difference between Spenser's andPalmer's methods of
teaching handwriting? What did the rise of Palmer's method (and
the later Zaner-Bloser simplification of Palmer) mean about
handwriting's cultural function?
Manuscripts and Print
MS sewing guards in a 1640 Psalter:
Charles Dickens, Our Mutual Friend in manuscript and in print--find at least one significant manuscript change that affects the meaning of the text in print.
Keats, "Ode to Psyche" in manuscript and in print--find at least one
significant manuscript change that affects the meaning of the text in
Zaner-Bloser Cursive Handwriting Practice
Practice making the alphabet, capital and small letters, at least
twice. Pay careful attention to where each letter starts and
2) Write your name in Z-B cursive script.